(1) Is a member of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i;
(2) Is a member of the Hawaiian Affairs Caucus;
(3) Fully subscribes to the purpose, mission, and values of the Caucus as set forth in the Hawaiian Affairs Caucus Bylaws;
(4) Demonstrates involvement and active participation with the Caucus or any other Hawaiian organization by such activities as attending meetings, serving as a committee chair, serving as an officer, advocating for the well being of Native Hawaiians, or any other activity in support of the Caucus and/or Hawaiian organization.
(5) Commit to attend Executive Committee and general membership meetings.
Wai For All:
Transmitted is this article by the Sierra Club calling attention to the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the diversion of Each Maui streams. HAC members are encouraged to submit comments.
The long-awaited Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the diversion of East Maui streams is finally here. It is a long, hard read, but it is a necessary step to hold the corporate diverters responsible for the harm they have caused to the East Maui watershed and the people who rely on it. Comments are due November 7th. You can submit comments now by clicking here or email yours to email@example.com.
Because it is such a tough read, we are taking a rolling approach to our comments—as we find new and alarming facts in this document we will update our comment template. People can comment as many times as they want to. A&B and Mahi Pono are required by law to respond to all comments they receive.
At the same time also watch your inboxes for an announcement about the next set of temporary permits allowing A&B and Mahi Pono to divert East Maui streams. The Board of Land and Natural Resources is reviewing this DEIS while it is also issuing (repeatedly) temporary permits to take an unlimited amount of water out of at least 12 streams in East Maui that are not protected by instream flow minimums. We expect that public hearing to be in Honolulu on October 11th. If you would like to be kept up to date on all that is happening around the effort to restore East Maui streams, please sign up for our mailing list by click here (click streams).
CONSULTATION WITH NATIVE HAWAIIAN ORGANIZATIONS
The Department of Defense is seeking comments on the Department of Defense Instruction (DODI) 4710.03, Consultation Policy with Native Hawaiian organizations. It establishes policy, assigns responsibilities when proposing actions that may affect a property or place of traditional religious and cultural importance to a Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO) and provides a framework for DoD Components to develop localized processes to facilitate consultation. HAC members are encouraged to review and provide comments. A copy of the DoDI can be found here: https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodi/471003p.pdf. Send comments to: DoD_NativeAffairs@keresnm.com by December 30, 2019, cc: firstname.lastname@example.org