DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF HAWAII
HAWAIIAN AFFAIRS CAUCUS
General Membership Meeting
May 26, 2016
- Call to Order: Chair Leimomi Khan called the meeting to order at 6:15 p.m.
- Quorum: Quorum established. Present were Leimomi Khan, 1st Vice-Chair Raytan Vares, 2nd Vice-Chair Pohai Ryan, SCC Representative Kūhiō Lewis, SCC Representative Mahealani Cypher, O’ahu At-Large Representative Keal’i Lopez, Secretary Rhonda Roldan, Juanita Brown Kawamoto, Michael Golojuch, Jr., Wendell Hosea, Stephanie Fitzpatrick, Tyler Dos Santos-Tam, Tim Vandeveer, Ward Marfin, Sean Smith, Carl Campagna, Flo Kong Kee.
- New Business:
- HAC Exhibit Table – Leimomi requested volunteers to help the HAC exhibit table at Convention.
- Convention Update – Leimomi encouraged members to check out the DPH website for Convention updates, such as the Agenda, Committee Reports, and standing rules. Registration begins Saturday at 7am.
- Convention Resolutions Committee Report – Guest Michael Golojuch, Jr., Co-Chair of the Resolutions Committee discussed their report. Question raised by Wendell regarding the resolution reference to predators. Michael commented that the predator term is in reference to “any non-native species.”Michael shared that the resolutions are now available online for review.Ward Marfin, delegate from Hana, shared comments on a proposed resolution relating to Hana area schools (elementary/middle/high school), that unfortunately, did not meet submission requirements. Leimomi requested Ward email her the draft resolution.Juanita Kawamoto shared comments that the proposed change to Article V, Sections 2A, page 5, line 28-32 “The members of the State Central Committee, except County Representatives on the State Central Committee, shall be elected at the Democratic State Convention…” by the Rules Committee, does not come from the feelings of a caucus, but rather the feeling that this is something that should be shared or conducted in front of the entire party. Juanita, Leimomi, Michael, Mahealani Cypher, and Ann Freed, a minority of the Rules Committee appointed, will ask that their Minority Report substitute that of the Rules Committee concerning the Constitution, Article V, Sections 2A.
- Election of State Party Chair: Candidates for State Party Chair shared their priorities and goals for the party with members. Tyler Dos Santos-Tam, Tim Vandeveer, and Flo Kong Kee answered questions posed from members.Leimomi also recognized Carl Campagna, candidate for Senate District 14, who was in attendance, but not able to address members, as the meeting needed to adjourn on time.
Adjourned at 8:11 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by: