DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF HAWAI’I
HAWAIIAN AFFAIRS CAUCUS
Ward Warehouse, Native Books/Na Mea Hawai’i
Executive Committee Meeting
June 29, 2016, 6:00 p.n.
- Call to Order: Chair Leimomi Khan called the meeting to order at 6:14 p.m.
- Pule Wehe: Pule offered by Leimomi
- Quorum: Quorum established. Present were Leimomi Khan, 1st Vice-Chair Raytan Vares, Treasurer Don Aweau, SCC Representative Kūhiō Lewis, Secretary Rhonda Roldan; by teleconference, O’ahu At-Large Keal’i Lopez.
- Approval of Minutes: Deferred.
- HAC Treasury: Leimomi reported that she’s been in contact with DPH Treasurer, Tambry Young, who shared with her what is needed for reimbursements. The HAC account balance comes from the last reported statement. Don and Keali’i have not met yet to discuss the treasury.
- Old Business:
a.) Status of Democratic Party National Platform Native Hawaiian Provision – Leimomi met with Colleen Hanabusa, Hawai’i Representative to the National Platform Committee to discuss the language regarding Native Hawaiians in the current platform, and asked that she please advocate for a friendly amendment. The amendment adds to the end of the current language as follows: “Native Hawaiians are the indigenous, aboriginal people of Hawai’i whose values and culture are the foundation of the Hawaiian Islands. We support proactive actions by the federal government to enhance Native Hawaiian culture, health, language, education, and housing. We recognize and honor the contributions and the sacrifices made in service to our country by Native Hawaiians.”
b.) HAC Role in the Primary (August 13) and General Election (November 8) – The Candidate Questionnaire has been posted on the HAC website. Raytan compiled the list of Democratic Candidates and is just about finished obtaining all emails and phone numbers.
c.) Election of Island Representatives – Raytan and Pohai are co-chairs of the election. Raytan sent out email blast to all members regarding election of island representatives.
- New Business:
a.) Approval of HAC Web Fees $100 – ACTION TAKEN: Motioned by Kūhiō, seconded by Raytan that $100 is paid to Blaine Fergerstrom who created and maintains the new HAC website.
b.) HAC General Membership Meeting – The ILWU Building is confirmed for the July 13th General Membership Meeting and Political Candidates Social.
c.) DPH Convention Critique – Discussion held regarding HAC providing a critique of the DPH Convention. Raytan shared that HAC has unique comments to share, such as the opening protocol and Hawaiian Language.
d.) HAC Treasurer Position – Don shared that his schedule and commitments has made it difficult to continue on as HAC Treasurer, and has decided to resign his seat.
- Announcements: La Hoˊihoˊi Ea happening July 30 and 31, Thomas Square, 11a – 4 p.m.
- Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 7:48 p.m.
- Pule Hoˊokuˊu: Pule offered by Kūhiō.
Respectfully submitted by: