Aloha e nā hoa,
The next Hawaiian Affairs Caucus meeting is scheduled for August 21, 6:00 p.m. at DPH headquarters. We encourage you to attend or to dial in to this meeting. Dial in number is (712) 451-0200, access code 938390.
- Guest speaker, CNHA Chief Executive Officer, Kūhiō Lewis
- Resolution, “Supporting the Protectors of Mauna Kea Who Oppose the Building of the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) and Urging the TMT International Observatory Board of Governors to Withdraw Plans to Build the TMT on Mauna Kea”
The resolution is in response to the overwhelming expression of members at the last membership meeting to support the protectors of Mauna Kea. It emphasizes these points:
- The cultural and spiritual values of Mauna Kea to Native Hawaiians
- The mismanagement of Mauna Kea as set forth in the OHA lawsuit
- The marginalization of Native Hawaiians in decisions concerning its homeland
- The desecration or vandalism of other sacred sites or public ceded lands
- Urging the TMT International Observatory Board of Governors to Withdraw Plans to Build the TMT on Mauna Kea. Members will be asked to vote either yes or no on the resolution.
To assure that your voices as members of the Caucus are heard, please attend the meeting in person or dial in with your vote. If you are uncertain as to whether you are a member of the Caucus, I urge you to fill out the application form on our website, www.hawaiianaffairs.org and submit it before the meeting. Please also advise our Vice Chair, Raytan Vares, email firstname.lastname@example.org you have done so.
We should also like to announce the resignation of Kealii Lopez as Chair of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i as she takes on a new job as head of AARP in Hawai’i. We will sorely miss Kealii’s outstanding leadership and wish her well. Those interested in running for Chairperson are invited to contact the Democratic Party of Hawaii headquarters to request a nomination form, email: email@example.com. Also, watch for the formal email advising of the application procedures from the DPH.
Lastly, we are pleased to advise that our resolution in support of the Hanapepe Salt Practitioners was adopted unanimously by the State Central Committee. Go to our website to read it.