Candidate: Carl Campagna
Website Address: www.votecampagna.com
Political Office/Position Sought: Hawaii State Senate District: 14
Are you an incumbent? No
Campaign contact name, phone number, and e–‐mail address:
Carl Campagna, 808-383-7699, email@example.com
1. Why are you running for office?
I am running because it’s time for a positive change away from talk and towards real action on important issues. We need to improve our educational system so that all of our children have the opportunity to thrive. We must continue to work towards energy and food security to be locally sustainable; we must also address the causes of our housing and homeless issues, not just put on band-aids and shuffle people around.
2. What are your views about Hawaiian self-governance?
I believe Native Hawaiians should have self-governance.
3. In your capacity as a legislator, what action, if any, would you advocate in support of Hawaiian self-governance?
I would work with and listen to Native Hawaiian Community leaders in an effort to help shape the opportunity in whatever capacity is available through the legislature. My children are Native Hawaiian and as their father I feel that I have a responsibility to ensure that their right to self-governance is realized.
4. When it comes to Native Hawaiian issues, what do you perceive your role as a legislator to be?
My role would be one of an advocate of the Native Hawaiian people; an advocate who listens and helps to facilitate goals. My opponent has never advocated for the rights of Native Hawaiians.
5. What ways can you, if elected, support Native Hawaiian concerns through your legislative abilities?
We can hold talk stories, conferences and forums to work out defining next steps, challenges and opportunities. And then we can revise and write bills and resolutions in support of goals mutually agreed upon by the Native Hawaiian Community.
6. If elected, describe specific Native Hawaiian bill ideas that you would be willing to propose or support for the advancement of Native Hawaiians.
- I would support any bill that promotes better stewardship of Crown Lands.
- I would support any bill that improves the environmental review process.
- I would oppose any bill that allows the sale of “ceded” lands.
- I would support any bill that increases access to utilities on DHHL land.
- I would support any bill that prevents incarcerated Native Hawaiians from being moved to continental prisons.
- I would support any bill that promotes local food production.
- I would support any bill that promotes the use of local agriculture products in schools.
- I would support any bill that increases the penalties for desecration of Native Hawaiian sites within the jurisdiction of DLNR (e.g. the graffiti on Luakaha/Kaniakapupu, spray paint on the walls around Iolani Palace; the stripping of the lei from the Kamehameha statue)