Place: Democratic Party of Hawaii, 627 South Street
Download: Hawaiian Affairs Bills PDF
Agenda: See below
DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF HAWAII
HAWAIIAN AFFAIRS CAUCUS
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
FEBRUARY 15, 2018, 6:00 P.M.
DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF HAWAII HEADQUARTERS
627 SOUTH KING STREET
Dial in number: (712) 451-0200, Access Code 938390
- Call To order
- Pule Wehe
- Establishment of Quorum
- Approval of Minutes
- Treasurer’s Report
- Approval of HAC Bylaws Amendment
- Legislative Committee Report
- – Listing of Bills
- – OHA Legislative Package-4 bills
- – OHA Election of Trustees at Large
- – Mauna Kea Management Authority
- – DHHL Lessee wait list; exclusion of certain lessees; micro housing
- – Minimum Wage
- – Housing, health, agriculture, environment, voting
- Nomination and Election Committee Report
- Unfinished Business – None
- New Business
- – HAC Support of Candidates
- – Endorsement or Support Policy
- – Democratic Party of Hawaii Convention, May 26-27
- — Hawaiian Affairs Caucus Presentation
- – County Conventions
- Pule Ho’oku’u
The Hawaiian Affairs Caucus will be holding its first general membership meeting for 2018 on February 15, 6:00 p.m., at the Democratic Party of Hawaii headquarters. The agenda includes these important areas required for action: 1) Approval of the HAC bylaws amendments earlier transmitted to you; 2) HAC Legislative Priorities; 3) Candidate Support; 4) DPH and County Conventions. If you are not yet a member of the Hawaiian Affairs Caucus, please complete the application at our website,www.hawaiianaffairs.org and transmit to our secretary email@example.com. Only members of the Caucus can vote on motions at our meeting. Alternately, shoot me an email and I’ll email you the application (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We kindly ask that you make every effort to attend or call in, especially because we need a quorum of at least 25 to approve the HAC bylaws amendments (a copy is posted to www.hawaiianaffairs.org—scroll to article on Feb 15 meeting). These amendments are necessary in order to allow the HAC to elect its own officers. Otherwise, election would be done by the entire Democratic Party of Hawaii at its convention in May. At the 2016 convention, we fought hard to amend the DPH bylaws to empower caucuses to do so. The approval of the HAC bylaws amendments is at the top of the meeting agenda, so if you can’t attend the full meeting, at least attend in person or call in to vote on the bylaws amendments. Dial in number is (712) 451-0200, Access Code 938390. We have some serious business to do, thus, all Hawaiian Affairs Caucus members are encouraged to attend the meeting.
Wish also to call your attention to the following bills:
– SB 3090, Proposed SD1 that establishes the Mauna Kea Management Authority. Limits the number of telescopes that may be authorized on Mauna Kea. Authorizes the renegotiation of leases, subleases, easements, permits, and licenses pertaining to Mauna Kea. Requires that revenue derived from activities on Mauna Kea be shared with the Office of Hawaiian Affairs. Excludes Mauna Kea lands from the definition of “public lands.” Provides for free access to Mauna Kea for traditional cultural purposes. This bill is being heard on the Senate Committee on Higher Education and the Senate Committee on Water and Land on Feb 12, 1:15 p.m., State Capitol Auditorium. Copies of the proposed SD1 are available from the Senate Document Center and on the Legislature’s website: www.capitol.hawaii.gov. Testimony may be given on line. The Hawaiian Affairs Caucus Executive Committee has taken no position on this bill, but will discuss it at our upcoming general membership meeting.
– SB 1303, Relating to Office of Hawaiian Affairs Elections that would change the method by which candidates for three OHA Board of Trustees-at-large seats without residency requirements are elected passed out with amendments by the Senate Committee on Hawaiian Affairs on February 8 and is heading to the Judiciary Committee.
Lastly, the LGBT and Labor Caucuses are holding a Lt Gov forum this Saturday, February 10, 9:00 a.m. till noon, DPH Headquarters. All are invited to this no-cost event. The Women’s Caucus is trying to put together a table for the DPH fundraiser featuring Senator Amy Klobuchar, Minnesota, Feb 19, 5:30-8:30, Sheraton Waikiki, $250. Contact Amy Monk email@example.com for further information.
Me kealoha pumehana,